Camvol charges a fee of £300 for organising and supporting these Indian placements.
Camvol offers support and guidance through the period leading up to departure, during placement, and after volunteers return to the UK. The services that Camvol provides are listed on this page, and all associated administrative costs are kept to a minimum.
In the last three years, Camvol had secured generous support from the Cambridge Malaysian Education and Development Trust (CMEDT), which allowed it to waive its administrative fee, and to offer students bursaries of up to £500. Unfortunately, this support is not available in 2020.
Camvol is continuing to work with the University and Colleges to ensure that these placements are available to all, and the Director would be happy to try and speak to funding bodies, including Colleges, in support of your applications. In previous years, the University Careers Service and Colleges have been very sympathetic to requests for funding to support students who are travelling abroad for a beneficial activity like volunteering.
IMPORTANT: Camvol requires volunteers to pay the fee of £300 by 14 April 2020 to secure their placements. If this fee has not been sent to Camvol by the required deadline, the offer will be withdrawn.
What services does Camvol provide?
- Identifying appropriate host organisations and liasing with them to create suitable volunteering opportunities.
- Recruiting and interviewing volunteers, producing relevant materials, managing the website, and providing information to prospective applicants.
- There are legal obligations and associated costs related to supporting volunteers, for which Camvol is responsible.
- Camvol provides personalised volunteer support before, during and after the placements.
- Camvol provides detailed information to the volunteers, and arranges a briefing session and an orientation prior to departure.
What advice can I expect to receive?
- Detailed information regarding placements in India.
- Information about travel grants and other funding, and support with applications to funding bodies, including Colleges, for grants to contribute towards the costs of placements.
- Health information.
- Travel and visa advice.
- Insurance advice.
- Financial and budgetary details.
- A briefing session, and an orientation day.
- Information pack about India.
- Logistical support.
- Arrangement of accommodation in India (for which volunteers need to pay separately).
- Support while at the placement.
- Opportunity for post placement feedback.
What do volunteers have to do?
- Book their own flights.
- Arrange for a relevant Indian visa.
- Get appropriate travel and health insurance.
- Arrange for vaccinations, and any other health-related issues associated with travel to India.
- Sign a disclaimer before departure.